Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just put down the Crackberry...

Photo by Johan Larsson
As a working mom, I find it difficult to unplug myself when I’m home with my son.  I’m constantly picking up my smartphone and checking my work email, personal email, Twitter, and Facebook.  While I may be wearing my son while I do this, I’m definitely not in my best “mom” mode.  Over the past few days, I’ve really started to re-evaluate how I act around my baby.  Here are my thoughts:

Pick a time of day to completely unplug.  Not only does this open up time to really bond with your baby; you are also allowing your brain to just chill out after a busy day.  In my case, I unplug when my son nurses himself to sleep for the night.  I shut down my computer, head to our bedroom, get comfortable, and stare at him, talk or hum to him, or caress his soft baby skin while he drifts off into his milky dreams.

Facebook can wait.  While you may like to be up-to-date on all the latest news with your friends, family, and fan sites, waiting an hour or two (or four!) is possible.  Smartphones make it much too easy to constantly be online, so close your Facebook app and go for a walk with your little one.

Don’t let your online life run your real life.  With the advent of the smartphone, I’ve started to notice I spend less time talking and more time typing.  While this may not be an “issue” for everyone, I’m making a personal pact to stop myself from living online and enjoying every moment with my little guy. 

So, take a look at your life and see if it’s time to just put down the iPhone/Blackberry/Droid and spend a few extra moments building, dressing up, or just cuddling.  Memories are priceless.


Happy parenting...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog